Skip to main content

End O.F.F


This is the last time I will write to you O.F.F. And can I just say, it's been emotional.
It's not good bye, but the change in circumstances means I'll be 'starting over'.

Although generally, my boys have taken the lockdown experience in their stride, to me it has become increasingly obvious that my two social butterflies are missing seeing, interacting and engaging with others outside the home.
They are so excited about returning to school full time, whenever that may be.

As with all parenting decisions, we all have our own opinions on what is best for our children when it comes to returning to school. And for many of us there has never been a choice. Those required to continue their work have had to rely on covid childcare.

As we fast approach the school summer holidays, my eldest son will only catch the tail end of term time, and so will return to school for just the final two days of this academic year. Before then, joining his brother and friends for three days a week with their childminders. And just like that - he has finished his time at his first school, and moves up to year 3 and a new school in September.

There's something special about a child's first school. Watching them go in to the classroom for the first time, performing their first Christmas Nativity, visiting school for their first parent's evening. It feels like such a big deal and yet is over so quickly.

Archie is quite a passionate child. When something captures his interest, he really gets in to it and researches and learns about it as much as he can. The Red Arrows, World War II, Spitfires, The Titanic and his latest passion; Pirates! I feel like the music from Pirates of the Caribbean has literally become the soundtrack to 2020....

His report is fantastic and bought a lump to my throat. I'm so proud that he is exceeding expectations for his age, but even more so that he is "always smiling", "has lots of friends" and "has been an absolute pleasure to teach" (I can't say I've felt the same during home learning....)

Rupert is three years younger than Archie and so due to start reception in September. He is so excited, and can often be heard singing the odd little ditty around the house "I can't wait til I start big school!"

He's quite a different character to his brother. Jumped in to preschool with both feet and really flourished. It's safe to say he has had a fabulous time full of fun, friends and learning! As a very content, happy and sociable soul he is really looking forward to making new friends as well.
He's spent lockdown perfecting writing his name and so announced to me yesterday that he is now ready to start school as he can write his name on his coat hook!?! Oh, and did I mention, the fact in reception he can make his own toast as a morning snack...
Having an older brother to copy, Rupert has also spent the past couple of months becoming quite an accomplished 'master builder'....who knew?

I think it's fair to say both of them have grown up so much since time stood still and the country locked down. Not just their shoe size, height and hair, but in character. I think when they walk through the door of each of their new schools in September, they will be bigger and altogether more confident, bright, brilliant boys.

I'm not sure the same can be said about myself, as I approach my first day back to work. I'm definitely bigger in terms of my waist band and hair, but a little less confident about my return.
I'm nervous.
I don't know why.
It's the same place, same people, same job.
And yet some how feels totally new.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am Mixed Race.

I don't have to suffer the daily indignities that many visible people of colour do. But I still have a strong understanding of both the overt and subtle racist abuse that non-white people can suffer. The thing I find hardest about being mixed race, but passing as white, is having the Indian half of me completely dismissed. I was born in England, I grew up in England, most of my friends are here and a lot of my family. So I admit that in my every day life I identify more strongly with my English side. However that doesn't stop me being fiercely protective over my Indian heritage and I won't let anyone deny it. The so-called norm in British society is to be white, and yet, when you aren't white and one side of your heritage is seen as something inferior, it makes you want to celebrate it and stand up for it. Racism in Britain today is different to what it was say, sixty years ago, but the impact of the abuse suffered crosses generations. My Dad is British.

"We're marooned me hearties!"

I woke up - bright eyed and bushy tailed - ready to embrace my inner teacher! Clutching a time table of fun, yet educational, activities planned for the next few days ahead, I was determined to make this work. I had set my alarm - as to me it was essential that me and the kids were up, dressed and ready to roll with Joe Wicks and his P.E lesson at 9am. By 9.37 I was separating two human lion cubs rolling around on top of each other, yelling "stop fighting" in my Miss Trunchball voice (which means I mean business) I'm sure this isn't in my new remit as Home Tutor? I managed to get my eldest son to begin with some simple maths, soon moving on to number bonds. I still don't understand what number bonds are so please do feel free to fill me in. Obviously whilst all this was going on I was fighting with my youngest son to do something. Anything. ANYTHING that didn't involve watching Pirates of the Caribbean. Everything I suggested was met with a stubborn,