Skip to main content

Ciao Ciao Brown Cow

It's been a couple of weeks since I've been O.F.F, and we are all still happy (just) and healthy.
I think the hardest thing is getting motivated for the day ahead. To actually get up out of bed, showered, dressed and ready for the day ahead. Who knows what the day will bring?! Oh. Nothing.
And entertaining the kids.
I feel like I am obsessed with keeping them entertained. I don't know why, because in real life it's not like I'm the sort of mum who constantly engages in role-play, or schedules in 'activities' to consume every hour of the day. But I think because I personally find boredom a mental health killer, I'm conscious they might too.
But are they bored? Are they?
I can't help but think they are loving these sudden days of being at home, playing (and fighting) together. Waking, making and baking. Collecting stick wands and the odd Nimbus 2000, on our daily walks, whilst insisting on being referred to as Victor Krum and Cedric Diggory during  lengthy games of Quidditch.
Like many other families we had planned to go on holiday for the Easter school break, which had since been CANCELLED.
But at least it gave me an idea of what to do today....
If we couldn't go to Italy, we would bring Italy to us! Well sort of....
First things first was to draw on suitable moustaches, obviously. It turns out our moustaches were less than suitable, and as it was pointed out to me they were more French than Italian. But hey ho!
It's amazing how 'getting in to character' can really set you up for the day.
We had a surprisingly productive morning learning facts about Italy, drawing our own maps and making flags (which reminds me - I need more felt tips) Luckily for me, my Dad speaks Italian, so I roped him in to holding a video call Italian lesson (well, we're all in this together)
The boys loved it (I'm convinced the moustaches helped) In fact, so successful was this that I've booked Dad in for another few sessions during the coming weeks.
Of course a day learning about Italy would not be complete without making Roman shields and swords out of old cardboard boxes, that I had been saving to help me move house pre-coronavirus, followed by battering each other in to an oblivion of sweaty giggles. On a positive note, the battered armour and weapons were so dog eared and bent, they could go straight in the recycling bin the next morning, and didn't have to add to the ever increasing piles of abandoned toys or half made oddities that only come with EVERYONE suddenly being at home all day.
Mind you, one thing I will say for being at home all day, without the ability to pop to M+S on my way home from work, is that I've been forced to think about meal times. Plan ahead. Cook from scratch. And of course meal prep has become an activity in itself - which in turn has totally opened up the repertoire of meals my kids will eat. If they make it, they eat it. Well at least try it. Mushrooms are still not a favourite.
So our tea was of course, spaghetti bolognaise. And keeping to the Italian theme, for pudding we had the last of the ice cream out of the freezer. Just one Cornetto and a slightly over icy Vienetta.

So our day of bringing Italy home was a success! I won't bore you with our holiday snaps.
Mmm...where to try next week? The worlds our lobster!

A point to remember; a black Sharpie moustache your son draws on his little brother when your back is turned, does not wash off with soap and water.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End O.F.F

This is the last time I will write to you O.F.F. And can I just say, it's been emotional. It's not good bye, but the change in circumstances means I'll be 'starting over'. Although generally, my boys have taken the lockdown experience in their stride, to me it has become increasingly obvious that my two social butterflies are missing seeing, interacting and engaging with others outside the home. They are so excited about returning to school full time, whenever that may be. As with all parenting decisions, we all have our own opinions on what is best for our children when it comes to returning to school. And for many of us there has never been a choice. Those required to continue their work have had to rely on covid childcare. As we fast approach the school summer holidays, my eldest son will only catch the tail end of term time, and so will return to school for just the final two days of this academic year. Before then, joining his brother and friends for

I am Mixed Race.

I don't have to suffer the daily indignities that many visible people of colour do. But I still have a strong understanding of both the overt and subtle racist abuse that non-white people can suffer. The thing I find hardest about being mixed race, but passing as white, is having the Indian half of me completely dismissed. I was born in England, I grew up in England, most of my friends are here and a lot of my family. So I admit that in my every day life I identify more strongly with my English side. However that doesn't stop me being fiercely protective over my Indian heritage and I won't let anyone deny it. The so-called norm in British society is to be white, and yet, when you aren't white and one side of your heritage is seen as something inferior, it makes you want to celebrate it and stand up for it. Racism in Britain today is different to what it was say, sixty years ago, but the impact of the abuse suffered crosses generations. My Dad is British.

"We're marooned me hearties!"

I woke up - bright eyed and bushy tailed - ready to embrace my inner teacher! Clutching a time table of fun, yet educational, activities planned for the next few days ahead, I was determined to make this work. I had set my alarm - as to me it was essential that me and the kids were up, dressed and ready to roll with Joe Wicks and his P.E lesson at 9am. By 9.37 I was separating two human lion cubs rolling around on top of each other, yelling "stop fighting" in my Miss Trunchball voice (which means I mean business) I'm sure this isn't in my new remit as Home Tutor? I managed to get my eldest son to begin with some simple maths, soon moving on to number bonds. I still don't understand what number bonds are so please do feel free to fill me in. Obviously whilst all this was going on I was fighting with my youngest son to do something. Anything. ANYTHING that didn't involve watching Pirates of the Caribbean. Everything I suggested was met with a stubborn,