Skip to main content

Fun Fams'

The past week has been less of a roller coaster and more of a log flume. A down hill tummy churning slide, gathering pace in to a slightly dull looking, colder than expected, end of the week.

I'm not going to lie - very little has happened (surprise surprise).
I feel like my enthusiasm for being an up beat, 'this ain't gonna beat us', positive mum has fallen by the way side.

In my continued quest to 'keep the kids entertained, yet educated', I decided to follow and like a couple of groups on Facebook promising fabulous tips and ideas of what to do during lock down.
And just like they say you should never google symptoms of your illness (because this inevitably results in sleepless nights), searching for ideas of fun things to do on social media, is another one to add to the 'don't do it' list.

Do you ever look at other families and think "why can't we be more like them?"
I do.
With their never ending trail of Instagram-ready fun photos and hilarious anecdotes. You know the ones - the picture perfect fun families. These people always make you feel like you're not fit enough, not fin enough and certainly not fun enough.

It appears the Coronavirus lock down period has inadvertently created a new strain of these photo ready, fit, fin and fun families.
Timetabled days of back to back home learning, (fun) activities and smiles. All mixed up with a hint of judgemental mummy.
It's exhausting.

If I have got myself and the kids up, washed, dressed and having had breakfast by 9.30am - on a (home) school day - I smell a scent of success. However these new "fun fams' on lock down" are always one step ahead.
They are ready learning, with pens poised, at 9am sharp. These mothers write of thrilling mornings full of number learning, hand writing practise, science experiments and spelling tests on 'common exception' words.
Following a light lunch, they suggest complementing the morning with an afternoon of arts and crafts and a blissful bike ride along cherry blossom lined streets, in the fresh air. All the time maintaining a wonderfully happy family balance.

There's no mention of the huffs, puffs and shrugs of not actually wanting to learn.
The whining arguments.
The stomping of feet and crocodile tears, because actually a 4 year old does not want to go for a walk in the fresh air every day.
And the damned difficulty of  trying to focus on two different children of two different ages and two very different abilities.

And I ask myself, who are these people?
Who are this new breed of "fun fams' on lock down"?

I'll let you in to a secret.

They don't exist.

For every family you look at on social media (probably through a filter I might add) and wish to be like, there is another looking in at your life wishing the same.

Oh yes, you may laugh and huff whilst reading that. But I believe it's true.

For some reason parenting turns us in to our own worst critics. Obsessed by the fact that apparently everyone else is a better parent.
Every Thursday we all go out and clap for all the amazing key workers out there who are keeping our country going.
But this Thursday I am going to make an extra effort to clap for the parents.
The stay at home parents, the parents who have been furloughed, the parents juggling work and home learning, and of course the parents who are also key workers.
Because, have you ever thought that maybe just doing whatever you can in these uncertain times, just to keep your family safe and loved, means you're actually a bloody good one.

Now repeat after me; "I am a good mum".

p.s. I thought I'd share with you our crappy crafty collages from our walk today....

Can you guess who these three are?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End O.F.F

This is the last time I will write to you O.F.F. And can I just say, it's been emotional. It's not good bye, but the change in circumstances means I'll be 'starting over'. Although generally, my boys have taken the lockdown experience in their stride, to me it has become increasingly obvious that my two social butterflies are missing seeing, interacting and engaging with others outside the home. They are so excited about returning to school full time, whenever that may be. As with all parenting decisions, we all have our own opinions on what is best for our children when it comes to returning to school. And for many of us there has never been a choice. Those required to continue their work have had to rely on covid childcare. As we fast approach the school summer holidays, my eldest son will only catch the tail end of term time, and so will return to school for just the final two days of this academic year. Before then, joining his brother and friends for

I am Mixed Race.

I don't have to suffer the daily indignities that many visible people of colour do. But I still have a strong understanding of both the overt and subtle racist abuse that non-white people can suffer. The thing I find hardest about being mixed race, but passing as white, is having the Indian half of me completely dismissed. I was born in England, I grew up in England, most of my friends are here and a lot of my family. So I admit that in my every day life I identify more strongly with my English side. However that doesn't stop me being fiercely protective over my Indian heritage and I won't let anyone deny it. The so-called norm in British society is to be white, and yet, when you aren't white and one side of your heritage is seen as something inferior, it makes you want to celebrate it and stand up for it. Racism in Britain today is different to what it was say, sixty years ago, but the impact of the abuse suffered crosses generations. My Dad is British.

"We're marooned me hearties!"

I woke up - bright eyed and bushy tailed - ready to embrace my inner teacher! Clutching a time table of fun, yet educational, activities planned for the next few days ahead, I was determined to make this work. I had set my alarm - as to me it was essential that me and the kids were up, dressed and ready to roll with Joe Wicks and his P.E lesson at 9am. By 9.37 I was separating two human lion cubs rolling around on top of each other, yelling "stop fighting" in my Miss Trunchball voice (which means I mean business) I'm sure this isn't in my new remit as Home Tutor? I managed to get my eldest son to begin with some simple maths, soon moving on to number bonds. I still don't understand what number bonds are so please do feel free to fill me in. Obviously whilst all this was going on I was fighting with my youngest son to do something. Anything. ANYTHING that didn't involve watching Pirates of the Caribbean. Everything I suggested was met with a stubborn,