Skip to main content

"We're marooned me hearties!"


I woke up - bright eyed and bushy tailed - ready to embrace my inner teacher!
Clutching a time table of fun, yet educational, activities planned for the next few days ahead, I was determined to make this work.
I had set my alarm - as to me it was essential that me and the kids were up, dressed and ready to roll with Joe Wicks and his P.E lesson at 9am.
By 9.37 I was separating two human lion cubs rolling around on top of each other, yelling "stop fighting" in my Miss Trunchball voice (which means I mean business) I'm sure this isn't in my new remit as Home Tutor?

I managed to get my eldest son to begin with some simple maths, soon moving on to number bonds. I still don't understand what number bonds are so please do feel free to fill me in.
Obviously whilst all this was going on I was fighting with my youngest son to do something. Anything. ANYTHING that didn't involve watching Pirates of the Caribbean.
Everything I suggested was met with a stubborn, strong-willed "No" (I wonder who he gets that from.....) This commotion started my eldest off laughing hysterically - which of course in turn encouraged the youngest to misbehave even more with a flash of his cheeky grin. Mrs Trunchball came out again.

By about 10.30 ish I'd given in. Well it was either put Pirates of the Caribbean on, or pour myself a large gin. And morning drinking didn't really fit my new image of home tutor, come lovable mum, extraordinaire.
My eldest son convinced me watching Pirates of the Caribbean was an essential part of his new home school curriculum, and joined his little brother on the sofa.

Using my time wisely, I spent the next hour or so video calling and messaging work pals I already missed terribly. Yes the same ones I'd been on conference calls with less than 24 hours earlier!

It reminded me of when I was at school. Spending all day with my friends, then much to my parents tutting and rolling eyes, spending most the evening on the phone to the same friends!

Eventually I stood up, sighed, and went in to the kitchen - only to find my two boys sat quietly at the table designing, drawing and colouring their own pirate ships. Maybe this Captain Jack Sparrow was on to something?
I couldn't believe it. They were not only behaving and quiet - they were being creative, and working together. Their ships annotated in beautiful hand writing, and they were talking me through all the details of what they had created. This then lead them to build similar ships out of Lego! Was this day actually becoming a success?

I won't pretend it lasted long. Little did I know they had also fashioned remarkably lethal looking pirate swords and daggers our of old kitchen rolls and Lego, which they then used when acting out their own scene from Pirates of the Caribbean. This time they were so loud and involved, they didn't hear my Mrs Trunchball. But you know what they say - baby steps.

After a much needed Whatsapp message chat (because actually who has enough energy by the evening to talk these days), with my teacher sister-in-law, I actually started realising; 'we are not home schooling!' Home schooling is a choice some parents make. This is not a choice. This is a necessity in helping to save lives. No, what we need to do is keep their learning ticking over. Give them some encouragement, grow their confidence, let them push boundaries and try new things. Maybe guide them a little in learning new stuff.

And actually - well, isn't that just being a parent?









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End O.F.F

This is the last time I will write to you O.F.F. And can I just say, it's been emotional. It's not good bye, but the change in circumstances means I'll be 'starting over'. Although generally, my boys have taken the lockdown experience in their stride, to me it has become increasingly obvious that my two social butterflies are missing seeing, interacting and engaging with others outside the home. They are so excited about returning to school full time, whenever that may be. As with all parenting decisions, we all have our own opinions on what is best for our children when it comes to returning to school. And for many of us there has never been a choice. Those required to continue their work have had to rely on covid childcare. As we fast approach the school summer holidays, my eldest son will only catch the tail end of term time, and so will return to school for just the final two days of this academic year. Before then, joining his brother and friends for

I am Mixed Race.

I don't have to suffer the daily indignities that many visible people of colour do. But I still have a strong understanding of both the overt and subtle racist abuse that non-white people can suffer. The thing I find hardest about being mixed race, but passing as white, is having the Indian half of me completely dismissed. I was born in England, I grew up in England, most of my friends are here and a lot of my family. So I admit that in my every day life I identify more strongly with my English side. However that doesn't stop me being fiercely protective over my Indian heritage and I won't let anyone deny it. The so-called norm in British society is to be white, and yet, when you aren't white and one side of your heritage is seen as something inferior, it makes you want to celebrate it and stand up for it. Racism in Britain today is different to what it was say, sixty years ago, but the impact of the abuse suffered crosses generations. My Dad is British.