Skip to main content

Livin' la Vida Lockdown




This week I've decided I'm going to try and celebrate the silver linings of life in lockdown.
I understand the severity of the what's happening - it's affecting us all in some way after all, and I'm certainly not becoming complacent, but it's also really important to me to be positive.

Although the crisis has claimed our homes, and with it bought an ever increasing load of chores, life has some how become a lot more relaxed in lock down.

No longer are we rushing to get the kids to school, get to work, get to meetings, get to the supermarket, get back in time to pick the kids up from school, before getting them to swimming lessons, karate classes or Beavers - all (i might add) whilst ramming a mayonaise layden floppy bought sandwich down our necks.
The kid's school packed lunches have always been perfectly prepped in segmented tupperware boxes, with fancy trimmed crudites and hummus, bananas with drawings or heart felt messages on their skins (don't know why I ever started that) and neatly folded Harry Potter serviettes. My step dad will tell you it's quite an experience watching me 'do' the kid's lunches. I've made it quite an art form. Woe betide ever having time to make my own lunch for work however.
If I remembered I'd grab a 'pasta 'n' sauce', otherwise it was a meal deal. My own worst enemy. By the time I ever got to a shop at lunch time all that was ever left was some weird sandwich of the month involving falafels or beetroot, or a slightly soggy one filled with 'lips and arseholes' (aka chicken).

I digress...

I just haven't had this much spare time since I was at university!
Let's face it - it isn't always great (see previous blogs!), but amongst the have-a-go home learning, strops and vacant looks of boredom (that's just me by the way), there are actually some moments that make you belly laugh - seeing my dad's new home hair do. Times when you feel chuffed to bits that you've actually completed a 5km jog. Or times of absolute pride that your child has kept their attention going for two hours straight taking part in a live online art lesson.

They take some persuading, but when we get going I quite enjoy my daily walks with the kids. Actually exploring where we live for once. Didn't know half of this was here; the fields, the woodland. And I can't decide if it's all in my head or not - but I can definitely hear more birds tweeting and feel like I can smell the pollen. Now I know that sounds odd and hayfever sufferers will now be rolling their itchy and scratchy, puffy little peepers. I don't exactly know how to explain what I mean, but I guess the air is cleaner. I think it smells more like nature intended. And whilst many of us remain in lockdown or have now began working from home with the car sorned, it must be making a difference to the amount of pollution in the air. Let alone our health and fitness.

I know loads of people who are using this new found time to simply catch up.
Catch up on the ironing, the washing, clear out the wardrobe, kitchen cupboards, garage, freezer (delete as appropriate). And finally tend to that bloody garden. We've even started to actually eat our own grown salad and herbs!

I love creating. I love to write, sew, draw and paint and make, with or without the kids! And the time has helped me to re-discover this obsession. And whilst this means I appear to be adding to my 'tut' around the house, many of my friends have become the queens of upcycling! Creating planters out of an old broken shed, turning frail, fed-up, former furniture in to quirky vintage looking pieces with a sweep of gold leaf, botanical wallpaper on the shelves and nice new knobs.

Of course as a pre-furlough working mother of two, one of the biggest changes for me that all this time has bought, is spending so much of it with my boys. Every day in fact!
Sometimes it's hard.
Quite often it's boring - controversial but true.
Sometimes it's absolutely hilarious and they'll have you in stitches, and then sometimes the smallest things they do or say to you consumes you totally head to toe with love. My four year old said on Sunday night,
"I'm having such good days I can't remember them"
And with those magical words, I realised there and then that I will look back fondly on these days. I may even joke "take me back!". Who knows - after all I've experienced such a wide range of feelings during lock down.

I wonder if there will be some lessons learnt once lockdown lifts. And I'm not just talking about school children making face masks in history lessons and writing about 'what it was like to stay in their houses'.
Maybe we will adopt a different way of life. Calmer, gentler. Move more, eat better - rather than having 'to get to' all the time in an unrealistic, unreasonable rush.

I've made friends with my neighbours next door but one, and always exchange smiles and waves with the people across the road during the Thursday night clap. It feels like communities are being bought together again.
And I think our perspectives will continue to change.
Hugs with family and friends will never be taken for granted again.





If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend signing your children up to a live zoom call art lesson with Art Enthusiasts London. This is Archie's (7) attempt at an Henri Rousseau. And if nothing else he was totally consumed (and quiet) for 2 whole hours!!!!

Got to love Bananaman!

I told you I was creating more 'tut'. Our stick heart. A bit slushy maybe, but it did give a purpose for all those Harry Potter
wand sticks we had to collect and bring home after EVERY walk through the woods. Now to spray it gold or keep it 'au naturale' - that is the question.




 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End O.F.F

This is the last time I will write to you O.F.F. And can I just say, it's been emotional. It's not good bye, but the change in circumstances means I'll be 'starting over'. Although generally, my boys have taken the lockdown experience in their stride, to me it has become increasingly obvious that my two social butterflies are missing seeing, interacting and engaging with others outside the home. They are so excited about returning to school full time, whenever that may be. As with all parenting decisions, we all have our own opinions on what is best for our children when it comes to returning to school. And for many of us there has never been a choice. Those required to continue their work have had to rely on covid childcare. As we fast approach the school summer holidays, my eldest son will only catch the tail end of term time, and so will return to school for just the final two days of this academic year. Before then, joining his brother and friends for

I am Mixed Race.

I don't have to suffer the daily indignities that many visible people of colour do. But I still have a strong understanding of both the overt and subtle racist abuse that non-white people can suffer. The thing I find hardest about being mixed race, but passing as white, is having the Indian half of me completely dismissed. I was born in England, I grew up in England, most of my friends are here and a lot of my family. So I admit that in my every day life I identify more strongly with my English side. However that doesn't stop me being fiercely protective over my Indian heritage and I won't let anyone deny it. The so-called norm in British society is to be white, and yet, when you aren't white and one side of your heritage is seen as something inferior, it makes you want to celebrate it and stand up for it. Racism in Britain today is different to what it was say, sixty years ago, but the impact of the abuse suffered crosses generations. My Dad is British.

"We're marooned me hearties!"

I woke up - bright eyed and bushy tailed - ready to embrace my inner teacher! Clutching a time table of fun, yet educational, activities planned for the next few days ahead, I was determined to make this work. I had set my alarm - as to me it was essential that me and the kids were up, dressed and ready to roll with Joe Wicks and his P.E lesson at 9am. By 9.37 I was separating two human lion cubs rolling around on top of each other, yelling "stop fighting" in my Miss Trunchball voice (which means I mean business) I'm sure this isn't in my new remit as Home Tutor? I managed to get my eldest son to begin with some simple maths, soon moving on to number bonds. I still don't understand what number bonds are so please do feel free to fill me in. Obviously whilst all this was going on I was fighting with my youngest son to do something. Anything. ANYTHING that didn't involve watching Pirates of the Caribbean. Everything I suggested was met with a stubborn,