Skip to main content

The 7 Week Itch





Following a week of decorating, baking and excitement in anticipation of V E Day (which was glorious by the way), I suppose this week was always going to feel rather flat.

I'm tired. Exhausted. Exhausted of not having a proper routine or purpose. Tired of literally having no time to myself. Tired of thinking what do to, when to do it, and what to do after that's finished. And tired of (and this is the worst one) thinking what to have for tea.
No matter how many back to back activities you plan for the kids - they've done them. They're finished in ten minutes. It's like trying to organise some one's "fun filled 40th week end" every single day. No let up.

It is becoming increasingly more important that whilst lock down continues, so does life - with all its ups and downs. It's important to let people talk about their emotions. To open up. Especially whilst hugs, cuddles and shoulders to cry on are in such short supply. And that's what friends are for.

Friends come in all shapes and sizes. Lets take the 'mum friends'. Not only are they useful for stealing ideas from for what to do with your own kids, they are great at reassuring you that actually their kids aren't sat solving maths problems, participating in spelling tests, baking, crafting and finishing up with calm and peaceful yoga sessions on a daily basis. You're not the only parent who's given up and let them loose on the Nintendo Switch by 10.15am. Because it is all too easy to get lost in what you read on social media, or what you imagine in your head MUST be happening in every body else's house except yours!

Work colleagues friends are perfect for remembering life before all this started. Most of us see our work colleagues more than our own families. And they are a special type of friend. They might not know much about your 'real life' outside of work or the people you hang around with, but the bond they share with you is undeniably strong. Over the years many of my work colleagues have been my closest personal advisors and confidants, in all manner of issues. And i feel that because they don't always know every detail of my outside life, I can tell them anything without judgement.

We've all got old friends. The ones we've known for years, but don't see much any more because life has got in the way. You've probably been in touch with these old friends more during lock down, than you have in the past six months. What with whatsapp, zoom and the obligatory weekly quiz. And every time you hear their voice it's like old times. There's an over whelming sense of nostalgia which briefly lifts you out of lock down for a short period and straight in to their living room. Hopefully with better make up and something nicer to drink than Lambrini.

It's a shorter than normal note from me this week. Like everyone else at some point during our current situation, I've hit my lockdown low. My positive pants are in the wash.

I'll be back next week. But in the meantime, I'm glad I've got my friends.


by my son; Archie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End O.F.F

This is the last time I will write to you O.F.F. And can I just say, it's been emotional. It's not good bye, but the change in circumstances means I'll be 'starting over'. Although generally, my boys have taken the lockdown experience in their stride, to me it has become increasingly obvious that my two social butterflies are missing seeing, interacting and engaging with others outside the home. They are so excited about returning to school full time, whenever that may be. As with all parenting decisions, we all have our own opinions on what is best for our children when it comes to returning to school. And for many of us there has never been a choice. Those required to continue their work have had to rely on covid childcare. As we fast approach the school summer holidays, my eldest son will only catch the tail end of term time, and so will return to school for just the final two days of this academic year. Before then, joining his brother and friends for

I am Mixed Race.

I don't have to suffer the daily indignities that many visible people of colour do. But I still have a strong understanding of both the overt and subtle racist abuse that non-white people can suffer. The thing I find hardest about being mixed race, but passing as white, is having the Indian half of me completely dismissed. I was born in England, I grew up in England, most of my friends are here and a lot of my family. So I admit that in my every day life I identify more strongly with my English side. However that doesn't stop me being fiercely protective over my Indian heritage and I won't let anyone deny it. The so-called norm in British society is to be white, and yet, when you aren't white and one side of your heritage is seen as something inferior, it makes you want to celebrate it and stand up for it. Racism in Britain today is different to what it was say, sixty years ago, but the impact of the abuse suffered crosses generations. My Dad is British.

"We're marooned me hearties!"

I woke up - bright eyed and bushy tailed - ready to embrace my inner teacher! Clutching a time table of fun, yet educational, activities planned for the next few days ahead, I was determined to make this work. I had set my alarm - as to me it was essential that me and the kids were up, dressed and ready to roll with Joe Wicks and his P.E lesson at 9am. By 9.37 I was separating two human lion cubs rolling around on top of each other, yelling "stop fighting" in my Miss Trunchball voice (which means I mean business) I'm sure this isn't in my new remit as Home Tutor? I managed to get my eldest son to begin with some simple maths, soon moving on to number bonds. I still don't understand what number bonds are so please do feel free to fill me in. Obviously whilst all this was going on I was fighting with my youngest son to do something. Anything. ANYTHING that didn't involve watching Pirates of the Caribbean. Everything I suggested was met with a stubborn,