Skip to main content

Be Prepared


The light at the end of the tunnel has been switched on. The last Coronavirus 5pm update has been shown, and I have been given a date to return to work.
Initial feelings of elation; 'I am needed', 'they do remember me', 'I can see my colleagues and friends again', 'I no longer have to participate in home learning' started to give way to a realisation that I have to remember what it is I do.



Whilst living through a 'month of Sundays', I have eaten and drank my way through a heady mix of crisps, nuts, biscuits, cakes and pies. Wine - red, white and rose, pina coladas, gin and caffeine in general. Anyone would think I was the 'Hungry flamin Caterpillar'. Which means my pre-covid working wardrobe, is no longer working.

My youngest son looked at me this morning and said "Oh bugger mummy. Your hair looks like a man-lion." I am aware a four year old shouldn't be saying 'bugger', but it was rather amusing. And of course I am acutely aware Im looking rather worryingly similar to my tan leather handbag. I don't think this is what is meant by 'matching accessories'.

As I plan my 'come back', I reflect that surely my life in lockdown has finely tuned some of my skills which will stand me in good stead for my return to the office. Let's face it, if I was in the Girl Guides I'm pretty sure I'd have gained at least five new badges during this experience.

1. Conflict Resolution Badge
I have spent a large portion of lockdown hollering "stop fighting!"
My boys spend their days alternating between nominating each other for the best brother in the whole world award, to rolling around the living room floor, pinning each other at the shoulders like Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks (remember them?!) Until - bright pink and sweaty - one ends up in tears and the other breaks their (inherited) vow of stubbornness with a stroppy sorry.
As much as I can't imagine any of my work colleagues rolling around the open plan office like two tiger cubs (the lint off the carpet is terrible), I feel like I'd be able to deal with any disputes in the work place. All of which are bound to be a walk in the park compared to the battles I referee on a daily basis.

2. Be Prepared Badge
Not only am I now always armed with a selection of hand sanitiser, hand wipes and hand cream, I also feel like my time in lockdown has taught me resilience and to be ready to deal with anything that might come my way.
Take Sunday morning for example....
For a change, as lockdown eases and the world begins to slowly re-open, I booked the family in for a round of crazy golf at Congo Rapids Jurassic Adventure Golf. As the name may suggest - there was water involved. And of course naturally it wasn't too long before my eldest son was wading in with his size three and a halves to retrieve his ball.
'What fun' my youngest son must have thought. Whilst teetering on the edge of a bunker, he slipped and ended up bum first in the same water.
Without panicking, cursing or drawing attention to ourselves, my new found resilience meant I just whipped them out quick as a flash and we finished the last two holes in bare feet and boxers (them not me).
Resilience is definitely a newly acquired transferable skill ready for the office. Show me a set back, bring on a social distancing barrier or take away half of my resources, and I'll give you the emotional strength to cope. Oh and I always have a great stash of snacks to hand, that would be sure to keep the whole office going if the next lockdown we encounter is in the work place. I hope people like raisins.

3. Negotiation Badge
Let's face it, a large portion of parenthood involves negotiation. The daily negotiations on how much writing practise needs to be done before the first 'break time' (I say first, as there are several). How many more maths sums need to be completed before a twenty minute Nintendo Switch sess'. How many mooorrrreeee spellings there are in the spellings test.
There's the more obvious negotiation of what time to go to bed, and perhaps the less obvious one of going on a daily walk. The daily walk was something that quickly became a much needed part of our daily lockdown routine. But then as the sun shone and the heat wave came, the pool in the garden was a much more attractive option.
Luckily my boys are good eaters and I never have to negotiate over eating their five fruit and veg each day. Thank heavens for small mercies.

4. Communication Badge
Communication, communication, communication. I can't get enough of it and I think it's one of the most important life skills you can have (put it in a blender with confidence, and you are on fire!)
In lockdown I think my whole family has developed better listening ears. And weekly quiz's that span counties and age groups mean I've become quite a dab hand at facilitating group discussions. I find myself calming the panic when someone's lap top battery is on its last legs or when someone else cannot be seen. Or end up being the one texting those who are still on mute.
Lockdown has honed and developed my ability to communicate whether through the constant teaching, mentoring or support of the kids, or the fact I actually physically speak to my friends and family members now. On a telephone! At least on a phone no one can see my hair. The telephone at times, is something of a relief.

5. Mathematics Badge
I've now lived through months of home learning doing times tables, fractions, currency and percentages - need I say more?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End O.F.F

This is the last time I will write to you O.F.F. And can I just say, it's been emotional. It's not good bye, but the change in circumstances means I'll be 'starting over'. Although generally, my boys have taken the lockdown experience in their stride, to me it has become increasingly obvious that my two social butterflies are missing seeing, interacting and engaging with others outside the home. They are so excited about returning to school full time, whenever that may be. As with all parenting decisions, we all have our own opinions on what is best for our children when it comes to returning to school. And for many of us there has never been a choice. Those required to continue their work have had to rely on covid childcare. As we fast approach the school summer holidays, my eldest son will only catch the tail end of term time, and so will return to school for just the final two days of this academic year. Before then, joining his brother and friends for

I am Mixed Race.

I don't have to suffer the daily indignities that many visible people of colour do. But I still have a strong understanding of both the overt and subtle racist abuse that non-white people can suffer. The thing I find hardest about being mixed race, but passing as white, is having the Indian half of me completely dismissed. I was born in England, I grew up in England, most of my friends are here and a lot of my family. So I admit that in my every day life I identify more strongly with my English side. However that doesn't stop me being fiercely protective over my Indian heritage and I won't let anyone deny it. The so-called norm in British society is to be white, and yet, when you aren't white and one side of your heritage is seen as something inferior, it makes you want to celebrate it and stand up for it. Racism in Britain today is different to what it was say, sixty years ago, but the impact of the abuse suffered crosses generations. My Dad is British.

"We're marooned me hearties!"

I woke up - bright eyed and bushy tailed - ready to embrace my inner teacher! Clutching a time table of fun, yet educational, activities planned for the next few days ahead, I was determined to make this work. I had set my alarm - as to me it was essential that me and the kids were up, dressed and ready to roll with Joe Wicks and his P.E lesson at 9am. By 9.37 I was separating two human lion cubs rolling around on top of each other, yelling "stop fighting" in my Miss Trunchball voice (which means I mean business) I'm sure this isn't in my new remit as Home Tutor? I managed to get my eldest son to begin with some simple maths, soon moving on to number bonds. I still don't understand what number bonds are so please do feel free to fill me in. Obviously whilst all this was going on I was fighting with my youngest son to do something. Anything. ANYTHING that didn't involve watching Pirates of the Caribbean. Everything I suggested was met with a stubborn,