Skip to main content

Home Truths



Waiting to sell your house is excruciating. Like watching paint dry.
On television it seems to take no time at all to sell and buy a house. Phil and Kirstie waltz from room to room (her in a big frock, heels and matching lipstick, him with a perma-grin) complimenting the light and airy feel. Buyers are baffled with ideas of extensions, conversions and transformations, the phone rings and SOLD!

In reality it takes forever. I have been living in real estate limbo land for quite some time now. Having sold my house pre-lockdown, it falling through mid-lockdown , I am now back to square one post-lockdown (I use the term post-lockdown loosely. Yes I know it's not over yet. And I need to watch out for the second spike that might just come back and poke me on the much larger since lockdown, bum)

When the estate agent calls and announces someone actually wants to come and view your house, as wonderful as that is, it also means you have got to complete the mother of all clean ups. Pre-lockdown this was bad, but since, it is so much worse now we actually 'live' here.

Preparing for a viewing starts off like a bad game of hide and seek.
Home learning is shoved in the microwave, toys in the fridge, excessive mounds of laundry dumped in the boot of the car. The whole day prior to the 'royal visit' is spent cleaning. Dusting, hoovering, scrubbing and spraying. Followed by strict instructions of;
"Don't get that out - we have people coming to view the house tomorrow"
"No, you can't build a den - we have people coming to view the house in an hour"
"Don't use the toilet - we have people coming to view the house in ten minutes"
The boys are under orders not to fight, not to make a mess, not to move, and actually better still not to breathe.

During a viewing, you invite strangers in to your home (cover their hands in sanitiser too these days) and begin highlighting to them every single feature of a room. The doors, the floors the architrave. Even the downstairs loo is suddenly filled with endless dull things to discuss or look at. And the viewer reacts with the obligatory slightly pleasantly surprised expression as if they have never seen such a magnificent downstairs loo in their life.

The lounge has a strategically placed rug, which my youngest son proceeds to tell the viewers is "there to cover up the stain from a bingo marker someone dropped when demonstrating how to twerk"

My feature wall, adorned with a monochrome wallpaper embellished with Indian elephants, temples and fauna, is magnificent. But I can usually tell when viewers think this looks shit.

Every home has something odd. Less quirky and more naff. Something which you can almost hear their faces saying "why would anyone want that?" Ours is a bidet in the master bedroom ensuite. Inherited when we purchased the house. And which again my youngest son feels is an essential part of the tour to explain to viewers it is to wash your bum in.

I spend most evenings scrolling through house after house on rightmove. By the time I'm in bed I'm picking out the colour scheme for my dream home, wondering if there's space for my piano and where to put the Christmas tree. I think I'm addicted.
My name is Nisha Collins and I am a rightmove addict.

Home learning this week; Textiles. How to make a face mask.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End O.F.F

This is the last time I will write to you O.F.F. And can I just say, it's been emotional. It's not good bye, but the change in circumstances means I'll be 'starting over'. Although generally, my boys have taken the lockdown experience in their stride, to me it has become increasingly obvious that my two social butterflies are missing seeing, interacting and engaging with others outside the home. They are so excited about returning to school full time, whenever that may be. As with all parenting decisions, we all have our own opinions on what is best for our children when it comes to returning to school. And for many of us there has never been a choice. Those required to continue their work have had to rely on covid childcare. As we fast approach the school summer holidays, my eldest son will only catch the tail end of term time, and so will return to school for just the final two days of this academic year. Before then, joining his brother and friends for

I am Mixed Race.

I don't have to suffer the daily indignities that many visible people of colour do. But I still have a strong understanding of both the overt and subtle racist abuse that non-white people can suffer. The thing I find hardest about being mixed race, but passing as white, is having the Indian half of me completely dismissed. I was born in England, I grew up in England, most of my friends are here and a lot of my family. So I admit that in my every day life I identify more strongly with my English side. However that doesn't stop me being fiercely protective over my Indian heritage and I won't let anyone deny it. The so-called norm in British society is to be white, and yet, when you aren't white and one side of your heritage is seen as something inferior, it makes you want to celebrate it and stand up for it. Racism in Britain today is different to what it was say, sixty years ago, but the impact of the abuse suffered crosses generations. My Dad is British.

"We're marooned me hearties!"

I woke up - bright eyed and bushy tailed - ready to embrace my inner teacher! Clutching a time table of fun, yet educational, activities planned for the next few days ahead, I was determined to make this work. I had set my alarm - as to me it was essential that me and the kids were up, dressed and ready to roll with Joe Wicks and his P.E lesson at 9am. By 9.37 I was separating two human lion cubs rolling around on top of each other, yelling "stop fighting" in my Miss Trunchball voice (which means I mean business) I'm sure this isn't in my new remit as Home Tutor? I managed to get my eldest son to begin with some simple maths, soon moving on to number bonds. I still don't understand what number bonds are so please do feel free to fill me in. Obviously whilst all this was going on I was fighting with my youngest son to do something. Anything. ANYTHING that didn't involve watching Pirates of the Caribbean. Everything I suggested was met with a stubborn,