Skip to main content

Poetry in Lockdown


When you speak to children in lockdown, about being in lockdown, they reply with various responses.
Some talk about being bored, some are desperate to go back to school and some are just thrilled that they get to go to bed later.
Some have learnt to bake flapjacks, ride a bike without stabilisers, tell the time, juggle or make a cup of tea.
But what is always clear, is that they miss their friends.

I thought we'd have a change this week, so I've written a poem.....I suppose from the point of view of my eldest son.


"Can my friends come round to play?"

In to the classroom the two of us hurried,
And found Mrs Smith looking terribly worried.

"The school has to close by the end of the day.
The illness is spreading, it won't go away!"

Some started to smile thinking
'Wow! how exciting!
School is now closed which means no maths or writing!'

The classroom began to feel awfully warm,
jumping with glee in our school uniform.

Excited, I thought of fun things we would do.
But then they handed out lots of home learning to do.

When the bell rang at the end of the day
I asked if my friends could come round to play.

But mum replied "no" and we left the school playground.
And I realised then, we were about to be house bound.

My first days at home were different and fun.
Mum left us to it, whilst she got her work done.

And then as the first week came to an end,
I heard mum tell dad she'd go round the bend.

She was no longer working, it was what they called furlough.
Mum now was our teacher, cook, cleaner til who knows.

Each morning we all sat on stools at the bench
learning subtraction, division and French.
Right up until lunch, when we had learned,
enough for one day as far as mum was concerned.

Afternoons were the best with hours to play.
Until mum would announce "we're going walking today."

Walking was boring and made my legs ache.
Until mum gave us ideas of some things we could make.

Guns, flag poles, Harry Potter broomsticks.
Spades, dens, wizard wands and Pooh sticks.

Collages made from seeds, twigs or nettles
And vegan honey made from dandelion petals!

The school remained closed and as each week passes
the grandparents joined in running weekly video classes.

As Thursday comes round, we clap and make fuss.
To say thanks to key workers who look after us.

And to keep weekends different, mum organises a quiz
on Zoom with our friends and we have crisps and fizz.

Now it's got so sunny and hot
we play in a pool that our dad got.
But I can't wait for mum to say;
My friends can now come round to play.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End O.F.F

This is the last time I will write to you O.F.F. And can I just say, it's been emotional. It's not good bye, but the change in circumstances means I'll be 'starting over'. Although generally, my boys have taken the lockdown experience in their stride, to me it has become increasingly obvious that my two social butterflies are missing seeing, interacting and engaging with others outside the home. They are so excited about returning to school full time, whenever that may be. As with all parenting decisions, we all have our own opinions on what is best for our children when it comes to returning to school. And for many of us there has never been a choice. Those required to continue their work have had to rely on covid childcare. As we fast approach the school summer holidays, my eldest son will only catch the tail end of term time, and so will return to school for just the final two days of this academic year. Before then, joining his brother and friends for

I am Mixed Race.

I don't have to suffer the daily indignities that many visible people of colour do. But I still have a strong understanding of both the overt and subtle racist abuse that non-white people can suffer. The thing I find hardest about being mixed race, but passing as white, is having the Indian half of me completely dismissed. I was born in England, I grew up in England, most of my friends are here and a lot of my family. So I admit that in my every day life I identify more strongly with my English side. However that doesn't stop me being fiercely protective over my Indian heritage and I won't let anyone deny it. The so-called norm in British society is to be white, and yet, when you aren't white and one side of your heritage is seen as something inferior, it makes you want to celebrate it and stand up for it. Racism in Britain today is different to what it was say, sixty years ago, but the impact of the abuse suffered crosses generations. My Dad is British.

"We're marooned me hearties!"

I woke up - bright eyed and bushy tailed - ready to embrace my inner teacher! Clutching a time table of fun, yet educational, activities planned for the next few days ahead, I was determined to make this work. I had set my alarm - as to me it was essential that me and the kids were up, dressed and ready to roll with Joe Wicks and his P.E lesson at 9am. By 9.37 I was separating two human lion cubs rolling around on top of each other, yelling "stop fighting" in my Miss Trunchball voice (which means I mean business) I'm sure this isn't in my new remit as Home Tutor? I managed to get my eldest son to begin with some simple maths, soon moving on to number bonds. I still don't understand what number bonds are so please do feel free to fill me in. Obviously whilst all this was going on I was fighting with my youngest son to do something. Anything. ANYTHING that didn't involve watching Pirates of the Caribbean. Everything I suggested was met with a stubborn,